Friday, 27 December 2013

In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Music video

There are various ways in which my music video both challenges and conforms to music video conventions. The speed of the editing between clips and scenes is very conventional, as the song increases and decreases in tempo the editing style does also, the more intense editing focused during the chorus. Also the lighting i have used is very typical of the music video i analysed during the planning stage, the lighting used in shot is behind the artist pointing toward the camera, i also just front lights behind the camera to ensure the shots i wanted were very clear and light, while the other had a heavy back light focus very much like the shots i analysed.

However my video does challenge certain conventions of music videos, in particular the use of fades and transitions between shots. Typically music videos will only just jump cuts, when applying this to my video I found that it didn't create a smooth effect I could achieve with the overlaid fades.

Also the use of combining two different types of music video types - narrative and performance. typically a music video will be fixed as one or the other, possibly with narrative lip sync if narrative; although there are a select few examples of this in real existing music videos so it is recognised as a technique used in the music industry. 

example music videos which use narrative and performance scenes:
Green day - Wake me up when September ends
Green day - 21 guns
(see videos below)




Digipak

The layout of my digipak I have tried to stay very conventional to give a more professional overview. As the majority of CD albums I have made the artist's name the larger text rather than the album name, I found this strange when researching, I expected the album name to be the key focus. 



However I haven't used an image of the band on the CD cover, this is often used in the music industry to help identify the artist and give more them a higher recognisable fame to their face. Although in my chosen alternative rock genre I found that this wasn't really the case, I studied "You Me At Six" and used them to help inspire my work a lot as they are a very similar band to that of the original band and share the same genre, and are an all male band also.


 Additionally for the layout of the tracks on the back cover I have used a central format, this isn't the most popular format but is very conventional of this genre. While pop and indie genres tend to have a this information formatted to the left hand side of the case, many designs within my genre focus on central text.












Magazine advert 

 
I find my magazine advert is very conventional to those of existing adverts. It uses the same image and design of the CD front cover, this is often used to make the advert very easily identifiable, also vise Versa if you have seen the artwork on an advert it essentially makes finding the CD in store/online easier and confirms it is the correct album.

To the left shows just one of many magazine adverts within this genre which uses this theme of using the same photography and design as the CD cover.
 
The text is minimal to ensure there is little distraction from the key information, this is another element which follows the conventions of existing magazine adverts for albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment